Develop Good Leadership Qualities with Lessonly
Lessonly is the powerfully simple, trackable training software teams use to learn and practice like never before.
The Leading Online Training Software
With Lessonly, companies and managers quickly transform knowledge into shareable lessons and resources, engage employees through interactive feedback loops, accelerate rep and team performance, and measure the impact of better learning across their organizations.
Good Leadership Qualities
In every organization, leadership plays an integral part in helping to maximize efficiency and achieve collective goals. An effective leader ensures that every single worker is motivated to perform well and that team morale remains high. This helps to ensure that there is a positive approach toward the assigned jobs as well as the organization.
In order to be an effective leader who influences the behavior of employees, one should possess certain key characteristics of a leader. While the debate has been raging on whether leadership is born or made, it is true that reading leadership articles can contribute significantly to the development of an individual’s leadership skills.
A simple definition of a good leader is one who communicates effectively and motivates others to act towards achieving a common goal. However, regardless of how one defines a leader, the basic characteristics of a manager and leader are part of what can prove to be the difference between success and failure. In today’s ever-changing world, leaders have to keep improving to be able to not only identify potential opportunities but also deal with emerging challenges. Reading what makes a good leader article occasionally can help one to be updated on emerging issues and trends.
20 Powerful Leadership Traits
One definition of a leader goes like this “A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” However, with the frustration and pressure that comes with leadership positions in organizations, it is important to possess a number of powerful leadership traits. Here are a few qualities of a good leader that can make leadership extremely rewarding.
- Advocate an open-door policy: This is a communication policy that encourages openness, transparency, and interaction with employees.
- Problem solver: Successful leaders tackle various problems and issues, finding solutions to them, and allowing the team to learn along with them.
- Manage time wisely: A good leader should be able to make the most of the time available to them by ensuring proper time management to produce optimal results.
- Good communicator: Leaders should not only be able to communicate their vision clearly but also motivate and pass on their message effectively.
- Understand the bottom line: A clear understanding of the bottom line will help executives know how every decision and action contributes to the common goal.
- Display a positive attitude: A person with a positive attitude will pass on the same to their employees, ensuring a positive attitude towards work and the company.
- Remain calm: Leadership can be frustrating and difficult. A person with a calm demeanor will discharge their duties better and make sound decisions regardless of the situation.
- Empower employees: Every leader should be concerned about the welfare of employees and create an environment where they can grow in different aspects.
- Stay organized: Successful leaders are organized both mentally and in their daily lives. This makes it easy to execute duties in a time-effective manner.
- Coach employees: One of the most important duties of a leader is to motivate their team. This means being a coach who guides employees in a given direction.
- Prioritize learning and development: A manager should understand the need for development, not just for themselves but also for employees.
- Self-motivated: There is no way one can motivate others if they do not have the passion required to do so. Leaders should always have self-motivation to do their job and help others.
- Self-confident: Every leader should be confident in their own ability to do their work and deliver on the set goals. This will ensure that employees are also confident in their leader.
- Decisive: Any leadership position requires that one makes decisions every so often. Leaders should be able to make the right decisions quickly.
- Accountable and responsible: Good managers know how to use power and authority without overwhelming their employees. They also take responsibility for their mistakes.
- Future-oriented: Leaders look into the future so they can make clear goals that will benefit the organization in the face of constant change.
- Goal-oriented: Once a leader has set a goal, they should be able to work towards achieving the goal with determination.
- Foster creativity and innovation: A leader should give employees room to exercise their creativity, try out new things, and make mistakes.
- Create lasting relationships: Running an organization has a lot to do with strong relationships. Leaders should create lasting relationships with employees and other stakeholders.
- Honest:: A good leader must have the strength of character. They should be honest and act with integrity.
This leadership qualities list is by no means exhaustive. There are many more qualities and traits that define an effective and successful leader. HBR leadership articles, Forbes, as well as other leadership qualities articles, can help executives know the important traits to learn, adapt, and strengthen.
6 Characteristics of a Bad Leader
Now that it’s clear what qualities make a good leader, it’s also important to highlight the qualities of a bad leader. Here are ineffective leadership qualities executives should know about and avoid.
- Poor integrity: Poor integrity among leaders will lower trust and affect relationships with various stakeholders. This will ultimately have a negative impact on productivity.
- Lack of adaptability: The modern world is constantly changing, making it important for leaders to be adaptable. A lack of adaptability will make it difficult for the organization to remain relevant and competitive.
- Little vision: A leader with little vision will not be able to inspire their teams to work towards the set goals. It will also be difficult for such leaders to show the way and go the way.
- Lack of transparency: Lack of transparency from the leadership of an organization will affect trust, effectively lowering the morale of other employees.
- Work 24/7: This is one of the little-known bad qualities of a leader. For a leader to care about the welfare of employees, they should be able to strike a work-life balance themselves.
- Inconsistent: An inconsistent leader keeps changing their mind, a factor that results in indecisiveness and slows down the process of achieving goals.
Besides these 6 characteristics of a bad leader, there are many more that people in leadership positions should know. Learning about good and bad leaders in history and the impact of their actions will also help to appreciate great leadership traits.
Develop Leadership Skills with Leadership Training
While some of the admiral leadership skills come naturally, others are acquired and improved through practice. Today, the work environment is characterized by stiff competition, making it necessary for managers and employees alike to improve themselves constantly.
Quality and regular training play an important part in helping to strengthen leadership skills. Those who attend the training are better able to understand the changing environment in which they operate and identify ways of adapting to the said changes. Continuous training sessions will also help to develop communication skills, time management skills, and teach one more ways of achieving success in leadership. Trainees should also be able to identify admirable qualities from leadership strengths and weaknesses list.
Companies should consider enrolling their executives and employees for training. This will not only help to build a capable leadership team but also ensure smooth succession in the event of a gap in leadership. However, the company should ensure that such training will offer value. It is only in this way that the leadership will be able to guide the company towards achieving the set goals, and the company will be in a position to face the challenges of today and the future. Lessonly’s powerfully simple training software enables leaders to learn good leadership qualities, put them to practice, and Do Better Work. Learn more about Lessonly and get a demo.
- Kirkpatrick Model
- Knowledge Management System
- Learning Content Management System
- Lessonly Alternatives
- Lessonly Competitors
- Learning Management System
- Online Training Software
- Osha Training
- Sales Enablement Tools
- Training Authoring Software
- Training Management System
- Digital Training Management System
- Training Management Software
- Employee Training Methods
- Training Methods
- Types Of Training Methods
- Workplace Training